Draft Murray Darling Basin Plan – Submission
It has been well publicised that the Murray Darling Basin Authority released for public consultation the Draft Murray Darling Basin Plan. Over 90 per cent of South Australians (including South Australian businesses) rely on water from the River Murray. As a result, water security continues to be a priority issue for businesses in South Australia.
Business SA has provided a submission highlighting the issues and concerns of our members. A summary of key issues and areas that need to be addressed to ensure that we have an effective plan for managing the Murray Darling Basin and river system is outlined below:
- Security of water entitlements ensuring a viable and sustainable irrigation sector
- Environmental water for successful environmental asset management
- Infrastructure improvements leading to a best practice whole of Basin system
- Infrastructure investment in emerging and new technologies, providing future best practice models
- A review of all delivery constraints
- Appropriate storages to ensure security of South Australian water and allowing for irrigators to plan for abundance
- Development of a Murray Darling Basin Food Plan
- Discussions and implementation of appropriate engineering management options for environmental sites
- Opportunity for consultation on the Regulation Impact Statement
- Review of Cultural Water principles to formulate clarity and understanding
- Greater understanding of Climatic impacts on long term water security
- An independent review that incorporates regional sustainability and opportunity for localised restructures if required
- A totally independent plan that is supported and owned by all Australians.