Business SA’s Frank Dal Santo has worked for SafeWork SA as an OHS Inspector, he has been an Advisor and Principal Consultant to both the private sector and government.
With over 16 years of experience in Occupational Health and Safety, Frank can taylor a solution to your needs, this can include the following:
- Developing OHS systems for large and small business, tailored to their organisation and culture
- Assisting in workplace cultural change strategies to improve safety and welfare of staff. As a result, improvements in staff morale and retention, together with reduced injuries and premium levies value adds to the business
- Developing integrated Health, Safety, and Environment systems in conjunction with Business SA environmental consultant
- Assessing the impacts on health and safety in change management.
- Identifying gaps between policies, procedures and work as actually practiced and assisting with practical solutions to enhance safety performance.
- Providing advice and representation regarding health and safety disputes, improvement notices or prohibition notices.
- Undertaking systems and legal compliance audits, workplace inspections and providing suggestions for improvement based on priorities of the consequences for harm or damage
- Assisting organisations to develop OHS&W policies, procedures, plans and systems to ensure government and construction tender requirements are met
- Provide strategic advice to businesses to enable them to plan and meet objectives
In a recent conviction a company was fined $135,000 plus costs, after pleading guilty to a breach of s24(1)(a) when two employees were injured and five others placed at risk when a tank farm at a winery collapsed. The existing concrete slab it was built on had cracked and failed.
The company failed to:
- ensure an assessment was conducted of the concrete slabs capacity to support the load of the tank farm
- ensure a footing design assessment was conducted that comprised a load analysis, soil analysis and compaction testing
- ensure advice was obtained from a suitably qualified engineer to assess the design of the tank farm and the necessary footings
- provide adequate information to the installer and the owner regarding the foundation conditions and requirements for the tank farm, and the calculated load requirements of the tank farm.
This reinforces the need for solid OHS management systems to prevent this from occurring.
If you would like to contact Frank for a no obligation discussion call 08 8300 0039.